New to Saxe Gotha
How to Join
We welcome you to consider joining Saxe Gotha Presbyterian! We are excited that God is leading you in our direction during your faith journey. Our church offers you many ways and times to worship, terrific ways grow as a Christian through classes and small groups, and many ways to serve others as a member of SGPC. God has big plans for your life and we hope that you will be nurtured, strengthened and challenged in your experiences here at Saxe Gotha.
A Member/Covenant Partner (based on ECO Polity & Discipline) is defined as a person who has made a profession of faith in Christ, has been baptized, has been received into the membership of the church, has voluntary submitted to the government of this church, and participates in the church’s worship and work. Covenant partners/members are eligible to vote in congregational meetings.
If you are interested in joining Saxe Gotha, we ask that contact our church office (803.359.7770) to take the next steps towards official membership. You may complete the Guest information portion of our Sunday bulletin and drop it in the offering plate to have someone contact you directly about your interest. You may also print, complete and return the New Member Information Form.
You can become a member of SGPC in one of the following ways:
- Confession of Faith, which means confessing faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. This may involve baptism if you have not been previously baptized.
- Reaffirmation of Faith, which means renewing your commitment to a Christ-centered life and fully participating in an active body of believers.
- Transfer of Church Membership, which means transferring your church letter from any other Christian denomination. We believe in one baptism, so we recognize baptism from all other Christian churches.
After a personal meeting with one of our pastors or membership volunteers, we will ask you to complete a personal information form, select the service in which you will be recognized as an official new member, and attend our next Discovery class.
We can't wait to see what God has in store for you and our other new members!
How to Get Involved
There are numerous ways to get involved here at Saxe Gotha Presbyterian. We welcome you to find out your spiritual gifts and then use those God-given talents to glorify Him! Here are just a few examples of some of the wonderful ways that you can participate in our many ministries:
- attend a class on Sunday morning, evening and/or Wednesday night
- participate in a small group study
- teach a class or lead in children or youth programs
- volunteer for congregational care ministries
- help with drives for mission efforts
- worship with us each Sunday morning
- get involved in worship arts like the Sanctuary choir or handbells
- become a mission team member on a national or international trip
We encourage new and current members to browse through the many options on our website and see the many ways you can grow as a Christian. Contact the assigned person who oversees that ministry with any questions. We also encourage you to take the Spiritual Gifts Inventory if you have not, in order to better assess where your personal strengths lie.
Getting involved in Saxe Gotha will not only be a personally rewarding experience, it will strengthen your faith and lead others in their spiritual journey. As members of Saxe Gotha Presbyterian, we strive to give God joy through worship, growth and service!
We invite new members and active guests to discover your spiritual gifts, what it means to be a Presbyterian, and how to "Give God Joy" as a fully engaged member of Saxe Gotha Presbyterian Church! Periodically throughout the year SGPC offers a Discovery Class to help new members get plugged into Saxe Gotha. The class lasts for only a few hours, but it is extremely helpful in introducing individuals to all aspects of our church and its ministries. Please contact Melissa Peel (803.359.7770, ext. 63) if you have any questions regarding our Discovery Classes.
Our next Discovery Classes will be held on Sunday, March 26, 2017 and Sunday, April 2, 2017 from 9:45 - 10:45 a.m. Please email Melissa Peel to register for classes.